Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Entry #6 Poetry: Too Much Religion by Vicki Buchhold

Too Much Religion
by Vicki Buchhold

“Problem is they’re too religious.
Don’t need to get too much religion.”
I took the statement,
knowing from where it came,
and it painfully drew me back,
shut my mouth.
I wondered if he thought the same of me.
I’d be ashamed if he didn’t.
But it wasn’t as though he said,
they think too highly of Jesus
and follow Him too closely.
He simply said the problem is
they got too much.“Too much.”
I found my tongue.
“While some poor souls don’t get any.”
He nodded.
“Poor little heathen orphans living in poverty.
But that’s why we have missionaries.”
Heathen orphans.
Poverty begins at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Vicki! Laura was right on target with your poem being a winner. I truly enjoyed it,
reading and rereading it as she did.
Blessings,
Sally Chambers