Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Friday, July 27, 2007

ENTRY: Flash Fiction July 6-July 27

60 Seconds
by Peter Stone


60 seconds.

A terrible forlorn wailing fills the air.

50 seconds.

What is it about time? When there is no urgency the minutes fly past.

40 seconds.

Small hands grip my legs with impatient desperation. Why is time crawling along?

30 seconds.

I slap the machine, “Come on! How long is sixty seconds!”

20 seconds.

Little hands pound my legs and the weeping reaches a crescendo.

10 seconds.

This is absurd. When I am having fun hours fly by faster than this!

‘Ding’

I slap the microwave open and pick up my toddler, saying, “Your bottle’s ready now, darling.”

Submitted by
Peter Stone

No comments: