Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What is a Blog and why should I have One

What is a Blog
The word blog is an abbreviation of web log and refers to an online journal or diary entries made by an individual about their life, experiences and hobbies. I did a quick Google search and as far back as 2006, there were over 50 million blogs in existence.

Why do People Blog
Blogging is a popular past time and many people enjoy writing about their daily activities. It is a way of keeping friends and family up to date with what is happening in their lives. Other people blog because they are on a painful journey with cancer or awaiting a transplant for a sick child. The blog is an expression of their feelings and can serve as a therapeutic outlet as well as keeping people informed of any progress or prayer requests.


How can I get People to Read my Blog
The best way is to tell them you’ve set it up and invite them to have a look. Ask permission to email them the link or post it on Facebook, Bebo, Twitter or other social networking sites. It is best to write regularly if you want people to keep your blog in mind.

What can I blog about
Absolutely anything. You can record sad stories, triumphant stories, funny stories, devotions, meditations or family occasions. I have a Suite101 blog where I write about marriage articles and I have a personal blog which I have neglected for quite a long time. However, I did post a story about a miracle God did for me a couple of weeks ago and had such a great response that I’ve decided to make more effort in future.

Come back next week to find out how to set up your own blog and start sharing your stories.


Debbie Roome works as a freelance writer from her home in New Zealand. Visit her at Debbie Roome or read some of her work at Suite 101 , Take Root and Write and Faithwriters.



post signature


No comments: