Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Writing Prayers for those in Need

When a Written Prayer Makes all the Difference by Debbie Roome
If you read my column two weeks ago, you would know I had just lived through a 7.1 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch. While the damage to our property was minimal – a broken wall on the veranda and two sections of roof on the garage – the emotional impact was far greater than I would have expected.

No Man is an Island
The damage in Christchurch has been estimated at NZ$4 billion. Buildings lie in ruins, businesses are no more and homes are uninhabitable. The devastation can be seen right across the city. Aftershocks continue to shake us although they have dwindled to a few every day. It has been a hard month and people have turned to each other for support. Suddenly neighbours are much more concerned and shop assistants more chatty. Churches have pulled together and there is an attitude of hope.

The Emotional Impact of a Natural Disaster
I am used to being the giver – to sending money to third world countries and sponsoring children; to supporting charitable causes and helping the poor. Now my city is the one in need. It is humbling to sit back and receive. I also underestimated the impact the earthquake would have on me emotionally. I have been nervous and jumpy and find it hard to concentrate and almost impossible to sleep through the night. In the midst of this, a friend sent me something she had written just for me.

Writing a Prayer for a Friend
This something was a prayer; a prayer written especially for me in my circumstances. I have hung onto that over the last couple of weeks and still read it most days. It has brought immense comfort and hope and I have decided to follow her example. The next time a friend has a need, I will write a prayer for him or her and will pray it fervently as well as giving it to them in written form.

People often say they will pray when a friend is going through a hard time – and many of them do. However, I have learnt that a prayer that is written down and passed on can do so much more. It can give hope, build confidence and is a true expression of friendship. I hope my story will inspire you to write a prayer for someone you know.

Debbie Roome works as a freelance writer from her home in New Zealand. Visit her at Debbie Roome or read some of her work at Suite 101, Associated Content and Faithwriters.












2 comments:

Deborah said...

I like this idea....I do something similar. As a song writer, I tend to write songs in response to the need of a friend. I guess it's my prayer put to music.

Carla Gade said...

So sorry for all that you have and are going through. Writing a prayer is a precious idea. My prayers are with you and the others.