Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thinking like a Successful Writer


Believing in Yourself
The following is a quote that some attribute to Nelson Mandela. Regardless of who said it, it is a powerful statement with a wealth of meaning. You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. Inspiring words but how many of us can say they are true of our lives?

The T-Shirt Principle
Imagine yourself with a wardrobe full of T-shirts. Each has a title emblazoned across the front such as wife, mother, sister, cook, teacher, secretary, dental nurse, hairdresser etc. We all play many roles in our daily lives. Now look through your pile for the shirt that describes you as a writer. What does it say? Average writer, wannabe writer, hopeless writer, closet writer or does it scream in bold letters, confident writer, creative writer, writer yielded to God, persistent writer?

Thoughts Influence Actions
Romans 12:2 is a familiar verse from the Bible: Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Our lives are formed by our thoughts, attitudes, dreams and desires. What goes through our mind influences the way we live.

What should I think about Writing
If you’re reading this column, it’s probably because you have an interest in writing. You may be a beginner or may have years of experience. Perhaps you fit somewhere in the middle. My question is, are you playing small or do you believe God has a plan for using your gift?

Shine as a Writer
God loves to use our words. He wants us to shine for Him and even if the grammar is not perfect and the construction a little clumsy, He can still use what we write.

Put on a New Shirt this Week
I encourage you to imagine yourself buying a new T-shirt – one in your favorite colour and in a fabric that feels like a second skin. Now look at the title on the front and make sure it’s one that suits you: inspired writer, life-touching writer, truth-sharing writer, gifted writer, or any other positive description.

This may seem simplistic but try it for a week and see how your mind-set begins to change. I’ve been through the process and from mumbling apologetically that I’m trying to be a writer, I confidently tell anyone I meet that I am a writer.

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.


Debbie Roome works as a freelance writer from her home in New Zealand. Read some of her work at Suite 101 , Take Root and Write and Faithwriters.

post signature



6 comments:

Yvonne Blake said...

I really needed this today. Sometimes I get discouraged waiting for replies from a magazine or agent. I wonder if maybe it's worth it. I needed to be reminded that God can't use me if I don't let Him work through me.

Thanks,
Yvonne

Edna said...

I am always in need of incoragement as I have a very low exteme of myself, so I need to be told so much that I really am a smart person. I pray that God will help me to do His will.


mat2730(at)charter(dot)net

Dee Yoder said...

Wonderful, Debbie! It does get discouraging sometimes. I love that quote--it puts it in perspective and is very encouraging!

Pat Guy said...

This so hit me Debbie, thanks. I see it's OK not to shrink.

Life-touching...I like that one.

Hugs,
Pat

Unknown said...

Inspiring post, Debbie.

Patty Wysong said...

My friends and I were just talking about this very thing! Very well said, Debbie!
Hugs!