Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Saturday, June 16, 2007

In Honor of...Pop

This weekend, I'd like to pay honor to my own dad - I called him Pop. We had many rough years - he was an alcoholic - but most of my memories of him are wonderful. Many of those memories revolve around fishing.

My dad loved to fish. He taught all us kids to fish at an early age. I was using a regular-sized fly rod easily by the time I was five years old - and I still own and use that same rig.



Once, Pop took me fishing and the fish were biting. So quick and so fast on my line, he finally put down his own pole and said, "Just keep casting. As you bring 'em in, I'll take 'em off, and you recast." That was a major deal - one thing Pop had taught us from the beginning was baiting our own hook and removing the fish we caught. He also taught us how to clean them, too. But that day, he wasn't catching a thing, so he gave up his own fun to help me - and we were able to take home more fish that day than ever before!

Great lesson in that story, but it was only one of many he taught me. He went home to Jesus several years ago, and I miss him dearly. He left a great legacy behind - he taught me to fish, love life, dream big, and pass it all on to the next generation.

I'd love to hear about your dad - post your comments below.

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: