Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Thursday, August 19, 2010

There's Always Photographs

BY SUZANNE WILLIAMS

Whitetail Doe and Fawn

When nothing else works in my life, there's always photographs. They are constants. They remove my mind from whatever is bothering me and focus it instead on something else.

Through them, I go places I am not. I stroll a sandy beach. I walk through a forested park. With a photograph, I can climb towering mountain heights and swim amazing ocean depths. With photographs, it can be fall, or winter, summer, or spring on any day of the year.

Frosty, Crepe Myrtle Seed Pods

They don't require anything of me. I don't have to explain myself to them, and I don't have to apply. They don't need answers.

Rather, without qualification, they do the talking. They describe to me multitudes of color and sound. Suddenly, I am enveloped in the rush of a waterfall or surrounded by the orange glow of sunrise. Photographs bring chattering birds, lowing cattle, and whispering wind, that much closer to me. They radiate themselves through shades of blue, green, yellow, or red.

A Red Autumn

Photographs are my voice, and I, in return, am theirs. Old friends, hand-in-hand, we spell out the magnificence - of distances, of vistas, of abundance and beauty.

Conduits, they tell of places and times I have or haven't been. They are forever reminders of the cycle of life. Through them I am small again, my problems miles away.

Yes, for me there's always photographs, no matter my environment, my station, or my place.

-------------------------------
post                        signature
Suzanne Williams Photography
Florida, USA

Suzanne Williams is a native Floridian, wife, and mother, with a penchant for spelling anything, who happens to love photography.

No comments: