Contests Authors Book Reviews Photography Freelance Viewpoints
Editing Marketing Writing Prompts Photo Prompts Workshops Winners

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Patriotism on the Tarmac

This touching patriotic story comes from one of our own special guest judges, Virginia Smith:

On an American Airlines flight Tuesday from Louisville , Kentucky to Dallas, we were getting settled in our seats and preparing for takeoff. The last of the passengers were still stowing their carry on luggage when the pilot came over the intercom.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I’d like to introduce you to someone I’ve been chatting with up here. A passenger on this flight, William,is in the Army, and he has been home on a two-week leave visiting his family. He’s returning to Iraq today. I know this will embarrass him, but when I have a serviceman on my plane, I like to express my deep gratitude for their service. Please join me in wishing William a heart-felt thank you for serving this country.”

The entire plane erupted into unanimous applause. The media likes to remind us constantly that the majority of the people in this country are not in favor of the war in Iraq . Even so, it made me proud that every person on that plane was eager to show this young serviceman that they care, and that they appreciate the sacrifice he is making by serving our country.

1 comment:

kalea_kane said...

Absolutely! Our soldiers really need to be reminded that we appreciate their sacrifice and respect their decision to serve their country. Thanks for the post!

Kelly